Big Horn Co-op was formed in 1923 by farmers to market dry edible beans and turkeys. The original locations were in Basin and Powell. It wasn’t long until Lovell was added as a feed mill and Greybull to deliver petroleum products. Turkeys were a major commodity grown by farmers in the early years of the co-op. Large numbers of women were hired to pluck, pack in ice, and ship them out of state. When the turkey season was completed, the women hand sorted pinto and great northern beans. The sorted beans were then bagged in 100 pound bags to be sent to market.
With the changing economic conditions the co-op moved into the supply area. In 1986 the old International Harvester dealership property in Greybull was purchased and remodeled. The main office moved from Basin to Greybull in September 1986. The hardware store in Greybull was opened in February 1987, the Riverton store was purchased in January 1987 and the Worland store in August 1992.
The main office for the co-op moved into what was an alfalfa seed processing plant just west of Greybull in May 2003. These facilities also serve as a central warehouse and a maintenance shop for the co-op’s equipment. The new store was built in Greybull, and completed in the summer of 2004.
The co-op employs about 100 full and part time employees year round, as well as around 15 seasonal employees in the spring. The business is locally owned by the people who patronize the Big Horn Co-op.
In 2011, Johnson County Co-op in Buffalo was acquired. Renovations began to bring the facility up to Big Horn Co-op’s standards, and to fully utilize the facility. Other remodels at Riverton and Worland locations were undertaken simultaneously, as well as integrating a better POS system with scanners, and inventory tracking. To facilitate this upgrade in technology, the entire network infrastructure needed to be put in place. We are working diligently to utilize newer technologies, to better serve you the customer.